The Institute for Basic Science (IBS) is a government-funded research institute founded in November 2011 with the purpose of driving forward the development of basic science in South Korea through large-scale, long-term, group research. IBS is currently
operating Research Centers in mathematics, physics, chemistry, life sciences, earth science and interdisciplinary sciences
IBS invites applicants for the position of Associate Director who are senior-level researchers with high research potentials, and are able to run his or her own research group in collaboration with the directors within their Research Centers.
1. Introduction of the research center
The IBS Center for Geometry and Physics (IBS-CGP) is working to bring the world’s leading scientists in mathematics together with young researchers to collaborate on research projects with passion and commitment. The IBS-CGP is located on the campus of Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH) in Pohang, Korea. The IBS-CGP provides an open and autonomous research environment. The existing members of the IBS-CGP are working on symplectic geometry and topology, dynamical systems, mirror symmetry, algebraic geometry, and mathematical aspects of quantum field and string theory.
For more information, visit http://cgp.ibs.re.kr/
2. Job description
The IBS Center for Geometry and Physics (IBS-CGP) invites applications for Associate Director positions from mathematicians of exceptional research record and leadership in the area of geometric topology, dynamical systems, algebraic geometry, and mathematical physics.
3. Requirements for the position
- All candidates must be able to make a long-term commitment to IBS research activities.
- All candidates must be able to manage their respective research groups in collaboration with the director of the Center.
- The candidate should be recognized as one of leaders in the international community of his or her research field.
- The candidate of associate director must be fluent enough with the relevant scientific and policy issues to be a highly credible representative of the Center among audiences ranging from the general public to the uppermost levels of scientists and policymakers. The position calls for vision, breadth, and good judgment; proven intellectual leadership skills; a keen sense of public policy, as well as demonstrated financial and staff management experience.
- Internationally competitive salary (negotiable)
- Dual appointment at POSTECH as a tenured or tenure-track faculty member depending on the candidate’s ualifications.
- Teaching load of one courses per semester at POSTECH
- Generous and flexible research grant
- Can hire 1-2 senior research fellows and 3-4 senior researchers for his/her research group
- Free housing of about 105 m2 in size at the POSTECH Faculty Apartment.
- For qualified overseas candidates, relocation expenses and some college educational allowance for up to 2 children will be provided. (Note: The above relocation expense and educational allowance etc. will be provided according to POSTECH’s regulations.)
5. General Selection Procedure
① Recruitment of applicants by public advertisement
② Selection of candidates for in-depth evaluation
③ Symposium and in-depth interview by in-depth evaluation panel
④ Decision by the SEC(Selection & Evaluation Committee) about recommendation
⑤ Negotiation with director
⑥ Appointment by the president
6. Application Submission
- Please fill out the ‘Application Form’ in English and email it as a single PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than October 29th, 2021
- E-mail title needs to be “Applicant name_Center name”
[ Contact Information ]
- About the Selection Procedure:
- HAN SangJi, Research Evaluation Team
Institute for Basic Science
- (34126) 55, Expo-ro, Yuseong-gu, Daejeon, Korea
Tel. No.: +82-42-878-8083
- About the Research Center:
- •KIM Genn Ia, Center for Geometry and Physics
Institute for Basic Science
- (37673) 77, Cheongam-ro, Nam-gu, Pohang, Korea
Tel. No.: +82-54-279-9905
* For more information, please visit IBS website (www.ibs.re.kr).
Application Form for IBS Associate Directorial Positions