Founded in November 2011 by Korean Government, the Institute for Basic Science (IBS) supports basic research within the entire range of natural sciences including physics, biology, chemistry, mathematics, earth science, and astronomy by providing highly advanced, supportive, self-direct research environments
IBS invites applicants for the position of Associate Director who are senior-level researchers with high research potentials, and are able to run his or her own research group in collaboration with the directors within their Research Centers.
1. Introduction of the research center
Center for Synaptic Brain Dysfunctions is one of the first centers established by Institute for Basic Science. The center is directed by Prof. Eunjoon Kim and located at Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST) as one of IBS campus centers. The center is studying mechanisms underlying synaptic brain dysfunctions, including neurodevelopmental and psychiatric disorders such as autism spectrum disorders, using modern neuroscience approaches and technologies to better understand the molecular, synaptic, neuronal, and circuit mechanisms underlying the disorders and eventually normal brain functions in sensory, motor, and cognitive domains.
(for more information) https://www.ibs.re.kr/synapse
2. Job description
- Associate directors will serve important roles in assisting the founding director to achieve the goal of the research center as well as directing his or her own research group within the center. The specific field of research solicited for associate director is mechanisms underlying sensory and cognitive brain functions.
- Applicants should have a strong record of scholarly achievement at the national and international level, a significant record of securing external funding for interdisciplinary-based research and evidence of leadership ability in his/her research field.
- The candidates must have experience managing a large research program and staff within an academic institution (or equivalent agency responsible for research) and be able to articulate a strong vision to further the research and outreach programs in IBS.
- The successful candidates should be able to acquire full/tenured professor level positions at KAIST.
3. Requirements for the position
- All candidates must be able to commit themselves completely in the long-term to IBS research activities.
- All candidates must be able to manage their respective research groups.
- The candidate should be recognized as one of leaders in the international community of his or her research field.
- The candidate of associate director must be fluent enough with the relevant scientific and policy issues to be a highly credible representative of the Center among audiences ranging from the general public to the uppermost levels of scientists and policymakers. The position calls for vision, breadth, and good judgment; proven intellectual leadership skills; a keen sense of public policy, as well as demonstrated financial and staff management experience.
- Authority to run his/her own research team in collaboration with the director.
- Sizable independent research budget.
- Tenured or permanent position.
5. General Selection Procedure
① Recruitment of applicants by public advertisement
② Selection of candidates for in-depth evaluation
③ Symposium and in-depth interview by in-depth evaluation panel
④ Decision by the SEC(Selection & Evaluation Committee) about panel recommendation
⑤ Negotiation with director
⑥ Appointment by the IBS president
6. Application Submission
- Please fill out the ‘Application Form’ in English and email it as a single PDF file to email@example.com no later than Wednesday, May 12, 2021.
- E-mail title should include ‘Name of Applicant’ and ‘Name of the Research Center’
[ Contact Information ]
- About the Selection Procedure:
- HAN SangJi, Research Evaluation Team
Institute for Basic Science
- (34126) 55, Expo-ro, Yuseong-gu, Daejeon, Korea
Tel. No.: +82-42-878-8083
- About the Research Center:
- SONG EunJu, Center for Synaptic Brain Dysfunctions
Institute for Basic Science
- Natural Science B/D(E6-3), KAIST, Daehak-ro, Yuseong-gu, Daejeon, Korea
Tel. No.: +82-42-350-8125
* For more information, please visit IBS website (www.ibs.re.kr).
Application Form for IBS Associate Directorial Positions