Center for Vascular Research
The Institute for Basic Science (IBS) is a government-funded research institute founded in November 2011 with the purpose of driving forward the development of basic science in South Korea through large-scale, long-term, and group research. IBS is currently operating Research Centers in mathematics, physics, chemistry, life sciences, Earth science and interdisciplinary sciences.
IBS invites applicants for the position of Associate Director who are junior-level researchers with high research potentials, and are able to run his or her own research group in collaboration with the Director of the IBS Center for Vascular Research.
1. Introduction of the research center
- Center for Vascular Research is one of the first centers established by Institute for Basic Science. The
center is directed by founding director Gou Young KOH and located at Korea Advanced Institute of Science and
Technology (KAIST) as one of IBS campus centers. The Center aims to achieve ground-breaking discoveries,
conceptual advances, and paradigm shifts in vascular biology and neuroimmunology through basic and
fundamental research. The Center is currently focusing on finding and identifying unidentified lymphatics
for cerebrospinal fluid outflow and a cross-immune surveillance system between the brain and the CNS borders
via blood and lymphatic vessels and their draining lymph nodes, which are highly challenging but vital tasks
for human beings.
- For more information, visit https://vascular.ibs.re.kr
2. Job description
- In addition to leading his or her own research group inside the Center, the Associate Director will play a
significant role in assisting the Center's founding director in achieving the Center's objectives.
Neuroimmunology or vascular immunology is the specific study area for which an Associate Director is sought.
- Candidates should have a significant track record of procuring external funding for interdisciplinary-based
research, a good record of scientific achievement at the international level, and proof of leadership
potential in their research field.
- The candidates must have experience leading large research programs and managing a group in academic or
equivalent research institutions and be able to articulate an insightful vision to further the research and
outreach programs in IBS.
- The candidates must be able to create a compelling strategy for advancing the research and outreach
initiatives in IBS and must have expertise managing a research program and staff within an academic
- Successful candidates ought to be able to land a job at KAIST at the professorial level.
3. Requirements for the position
- All candidates must be able to commit themselves completely in the long-term to IBS research activities.
- All candidates must be able to manage their respective research groups in collaboration with the director
within the Center.
- The candidate should be recognized as one of leaders in the international community of his or her research
- The candidate for Associate Director must be fluent enough with the relevant scientific issues to be a
highly credible representative of the Center.
- Authority to run his/her own research team.
- Sizable independent research budget (the successful candidate may negotiate with the director of the Center
to finalize the size of his/her research budget and how to set up his/her budget account if necessary).
- Tenured or permanent position.
5. General Selection Procedure
- ① Recruitment of applicants by public advertisement
- ② Selection of candidates for in-depth evaluation
- ③ Interview by in-depth evaluation panel
- ④ Decision by the Selection & Evaluation Committee (SEC) about recommendation
- ⑤ Negotiation with Director
- ⑥ Appointment by IBS President
6. Application Submission
- Fill out the application form in English and email it as a single PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 21 June 2023(KST).
- E-mail title should include ‘Name of Applicant’ and Center for Vascular Research.
[ Contact Information ]
PARK Sungyong, Center for Vascular Research
KIM Seonhea, Research Evaluation Team
1. Application Form for IBS Associate Directorial Position (2023)
2. FAQ: Selection, Organization and Operation of IBS Associate Directorship (2023)