2021 Call for Applications:
IBS Directors, Chief Investigators and Managing Director
The Institute for Basic Science (IBS) is a government-funded research institute founded in November 2011 with the purpose of driving forward the development of basic science in South Korea through large-scale, long-term, group research. IBS is currently operating 31 Research Centers in mathematics, physics, chemistry, life sciences, Earth science, and interdisciplinary sciences.
In 2021, we are seeking candidates for two new Research Centers, two Chief Investigators (CI) who will lead their research groups within the existing Pioneer Research Centers (PRC), and one Managing Director for the newly opening (tentatively named) Basic Virus Research Institute. We look forward to receiving applications from many excellent scientists.
21 December 2020
NOH Do Young
Managing Director of the Basic Virus Research Institute
- We are seeking a Managing Director who will oversee operations for the newly opening (tentatively named) Basic Virus Research Institute while at the same time conducting basic virus research as a head of a (tentatively named) Research Center within the Institute.
Please note that in future years, Directors of Research Centers will take turns serving as the Managing Director of the Institute for predetermined lengths of time.
2. Research Areas
- All areas of basic research in virology
- Must be capable of conducting large-scale, long-term, group research in basic science
- Must possess the capability that is equivalent to that of a chair/endowed professor at a world-renowned university or a director at a Max Planck Institute in a relevant area of expertise, or have the potential to reach the aforementioned level in the near future
- Have a strong drive and self-motivation to contribute to strengthening the virus research capabilities of South Korea through collaboration and cooperation with basic virus research communities at home and abroad
- Must be able to commit to IBS research for at least 10 years
4. Selection Criteria
○ The criteria that will be used in the evaluation phase to quantitatively assess applicants are:
- Scientific excellence: Quality and significance of the applicant’s research achievements, research capabilities and potential, and other relevant aspects
- Adequacy of research plan: Adequacy, reasonability and feasibility of the Institute/Research Center organization and operation plan, proposed budget and cost allocation, plan to nurture and support early career scientists, and mid- to long-term development plan and visions.
- Contribution: Experience, expertise and leadership to drive the development of basic virus research in South Korea
5. Selection Procedure Please note that the dates are subject to change.
- Candidate search until 1 February 2021: Candidates will be shortlisted through an open call for applications and by a Search Committee*
* Several Search Committees will be formed by fields and composed of domestic and international scholars to seek out and recommend qualified candidates.
- ~ Feb. 2021: Selection of candidates for in-depth evaluation
- ~ Mar. 2021: In-depth evaluation
- ~ May 2021: Comprehensive evaluation and consultation by the Scientific Advisory Board (SAB)
- ~ May 2021: Negotiation and appointment
- ~ July 2021: Opening of the Institute
- The reasonability of the budget and cost allocation proposed in the application will be carefully reviewed during the selection and evaluation process for Directors. The proposed budget will be finalized after deliberation and approval by the IBS Research Review Committee.
Note: The budget amount is subject to change based on availability of institutional budget.
7. Position Details
- Oversees the Institute’s overall operations
- Must work full time and salary will be negotiated with the IBS president
- Have the authority to organize their Research Center, including personnel, detailed research plan, and budget allocation
- Not allowed to apply for other Korean government-funded research projects
Note: Candidates who are participating in projects awarded by the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) Basic Science Research Programs may commence their research at IBS only after closeout or completion of the projects.
- The Research Center will undergo a consultation-based interim review after two years from the start date and additional reviews follow every three years thereafter.
8. Application Submission
- Fill in the application form (Attachment 2-1) in English, save it as PDF file with the title “applicant name_Managing Director_submission date”, and send it to email@example.com.
- Submission deadline: Monday 1 February 2021 midnight (KST)
- Applicants who qualify for in-depth evaluation will be notified in March 2021.
○ Establishment and operation of the Institute
- KANG Dong Woo, Head of the Strategy and Policy Office at +82-42-878-8191 or firstname.lastname@example.org)
○ Applications, selection and evaluation procedure for the Managing Director
- JEONG Naeyang, Head of the Research Evaluation Team at +82-42-878-8190 or email@example.com)
2-1. Application Form for Managing Director (English)
2-2. Establishment Plan for the (tentatively named) Basic Virus Research Institute