2021-06 Recruitment Announcement for
Researcher Positions at the IBS Center
Multidimensional Carbon Materials
The Institute for Basic Science (IBS) is a national research institute established in accordance with Article 14
of the “Special Act on Establishment of and Support for International Science and Business Belts”. IBS aims to
discover creative knowledge and secure original technologies through world-class basic science research. The IBS
Center for Multidimensional Carbon Materials invites creative and dynamic candidates who will help us to achieve
□ Recruitment Details
Recruitment Details - Work Position, Area No., Area, Required Qualification, No. of Opening
||No. of Opening
|Postdoctoral Research Associate
||- Synthetic Organic Chemistry, Macromolecular Chemistry, Physical Organic Chemistry
- Degree: Doctoral Degree (obtained within recent 5 years or to be obtained within 3 months from the appointment start date)
- Major: Chemical Synthesis
-Preference: Experience in the synthesis of organic and polymeric materials
-Please refer to the below for the detailed required qualifications
- ※We seek candidates to tackle outstanding synthetic challenges at the intersection of organic and polymer chemistry. The position will entail the preparation of novel polymeric materials and related small molecules that are designed to facilitate the realization of new classes of carbon-based materials. The candidate should have deep experience with: (1) a broad range of synthetic methodologies, (2) multi-step syntheses; (3) Schlenk and other air-free techniques, (3) synthetic polymer chemistry, and (4) relevant contemporary characterization and separation techniques including NMR spectroscopy, FT-IR spectroscopy, UV-Vis spectroscopy, thermal analyses, gel permeation chromatography, and mass spectrometry. Ideal candidates will also (1) be fluent in English, (2) have multiple years of experience working on projects rooted in synthetic organic and synthetic polymer chemistry, (3) exhibit a strong motivation solve long-standing challenges that are related to the preparation of novel polymeric precursors, and (4) be listed as a co-author on multiple papers that have been published in top tier, peer-reviewed journals.
- • Postdoctoral Research Associate: A position to conduct research training and research for a certain period of time to deepen research expertise and abilities. Those who do not exceed 5 years after obtaining their doctoral degrees, or those who are expected to obtain their doctoral degree within 3 months by the time of appointment. Total appointment period available up to three years (e.g. 1+2 years)
- ※The employment contract will be maintained until the abolition of the Center, if the Center is determined to be abolished during the contract period.
□ Qualifications and Preferences
- [General Qualifications]
- • Those who have a required degree from domestic/overseas university
- • Those who are qualified under Article 33 of the State Public Officials Act and IBS regulations
- • Those who are permitted to travel aboard
- • Those who completed mandatory military service or exempt from such service
- • Additional points for persons with disabilities under Article 3 and 4 of the Enforcement Decree of the Act on the Employment Promotion and Vocational Rehabilitation of Persons with Disabilities, or persons eligible for employment assistance under Article 29 of the Act on the Honorable Treatment of and Support for Persons, ETC. of Distinguished Service to the State.
- • Those who are “women in science, engineering and technology” under Article 2 of the Act on Fostering and Supporting Women Scientists and Technicians.
- • Fluency in English
Screening - Stage, Review Criteria, Method, Required Documents
|Relevance to the recruitment area, expertise, work capability, development potential, etc.
||Select three times the number of candidates than the opening for the next screening stage. Select applicants with the highest average scores (minimum average score: 80)
(2) List of Publications
(3) Research Plan (free form, within 1 page)
(4) Consent form for providing personal information (form attached)
※All needs to be written in English
(5) Supporting documents for persons with disabilities or eligible for veterans’ benefit, if applicable
|Expertise in the recruitment area, presentation skills, attitude, development potential, etc.
||Select the final candidates with the highest average scores within the number of openings. (minimum average score: 80)
||Be individually informed for applicants who pass the document screening
□ Application Submission and Period
• Submission via E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
- - Please state [“Area No.”] “Your Name” on the application e-mail title.
e.g.) [ⓑ] Peter Parker
• Period: 2021.07.20.~ 18:00, 2021.08.04. (KST)
※Please kindly note that if your application misses to submit a part of required documents, your application shall not be accepted. Please make sure that you provide the consent form.
□ Other Information
- • Blind hiring process will be implemented to reduce the risk of bias in the hiring decision and block out any and all identification details from candidate's resume and applications.
- • Applicants take full responsibility for any consequences resulting from omissions and errors found in submitted documents, not submitting required documents, etc. If any information is proven false, the job offer will be withdrawn.
- • If selected candidates are disqualified through a background check or a recruitment-related physical examination, the job offer will be withdrawn.
- • If selected candidates are found dismissed according to the Article 82 of the Act on the Prevention of Corruption and the Establishment and Management of the Anti-Corruption and Civil Rights Commission, the appointment will be withdrawn.
- • Submitted documents may be returned when such requests are made within three months from the announcement of recruitment results according to the Article 4 of the Enforcement Decree of the Fair Hiring Procedure Act.
- • No candidates may be hired if all candidates are found unsuitable during screening stages.
- • If hired, the work level, annual salary, etc. will comply with IBS standards.
- • Expected date of appointment is after September, 2021. (※Subject to change)
- • Workplace: IBS Center for Multidimensional Carbon Materials, Ulsan
- • Inquiries: Responsible staff at the IBS Center for Multidimensional Carbon Materials
(Tel.: 052-217-5756; fax: 052-217-5759; e-mail: email@example.com)