2020-5 Recruitment Announcement for Senior Researcher Position at the Center for Theoretical Physics of the Universe
The Center for Theoretical Physics of the Universe (CTPU) (https://www.ibs.re.kr/ctpu/) at Institute for Basic Science (https://www.ibs.re.kr), South Korea, invites applications for researcher positions in Theoretical High Energy Physics, Cosmology and String Phenomenology, which can start anytime in March - September (later time is negotiable), 2021. The initial appointment will be for 2 years, and can be extended for an additional year subject to the performance review and funding situation.
The research group at the CTPU involves 7 faculty members (Kiwoon Choi, Sanghyeon Chang, Kenji Kadota, Chang Sub Shin, Sang Hui Im, Seung-Joo Lee and Pablo Soler), as well as 13 postdoctoral research fellows. We also have affiliate faculty members (Myeonghun Park, Kyu Jung Bae, and Seodong Shin) who are actively working with our group members. The official language at the center is English.
Research interests of our group cover broad areas of theoretical high energy physics and cosmology, including physics beyond the Standard Model, collider phenomenology, dark matter, early Universe cosmology, large scale structure of the Universe, string compactifications and their phenomenological consequences. We have strong ties to the the cosmology group at KASI (http://cosmology.kasi.re.kr). We also have close relations with the experimental centers hosted by IBS: the Center for Axion and Precision Physics Research (https://www.ibs.re.kr/capp/) and the Center for Underground Physics (https://www.ibs.re.kr/cup/).
Applications should include CV, publication list, research statement, Consent to Provide Personal Information form, and at least three letters of recommendation. For full consideration, application materials including the letters should be submitted by December 1, 2020, through Academic Jobs Online.
||Number of openings
|Center for Theoretical Physics of the Universe
||·Education : Applicants must have a Ph.D. in particle physics theory or other related fields
·Preferred : publications in international journals or well-known international conferences
- 〇 Job Description for Research Position
- - (Senior researcher)Require a Ph.D. degree and a track record of research in their field. Appointed for a term of up to five years and, through an evaluation, may be promoted to senior research fellow during employment.
※ In case of the Center’s closure during employment, the employment contract will be terminated accordingly.
- [Required qualifications]
- • A Ph.D. from South Korean or foreign university
- • Must be in compliance with the requirements for appointments as specified in Article 33 of the State Public Officials Act and IBS statutes
- • Must have no restrictions traveling overseas. Male applicants must have completed or be exempted from compulsory military service
- [Preferred qualifications]
- • Individuals with disabilities as defined in Articles 3 and 4 of the Enforcement Decree of the Act on the Employment Promotion and Vocational Rehabilitation of Persons with Disabilities, or individuals eligible for employment assistance as defined in Article 29 of the Act on the Honorable Treatment of and Support for Persons, Etc. of Distinguished Service to the State (additional points will be given during the screening/evaluation process)
□ Screening Process
|Suitability for the position and for the field of work, excellence of the applicant’s research achievements, development possibility, etc.
||Approximately 3 times the number of applicants than the number of vacancies will be selected for the interview in order of the highest scores with the minimum average score of 80.
||CV, list of publications, Research Plan(1 page), At least 3 Recommendation letters, Consent form for collection and use of personal information
|Knowledge in their field, attitude and communication skills, presentation skills, excellence of their research, development potential and prospect, English skill, etc.
||Number of vacancies will be selected for the interview in order of the highest scores with the minimum average score of 80. There will be a successful candidate and preliminary candidates(Total candidates are 2 times of number of positions) in accordance with higher score
||Further notice will be provided to the final candidates
※ The interview can be conducted as video interview
□ Application Submission and Deadline
- 〇 How to apply : Submit your CV, list of publications, Research plan(1 page), At least 3 Recommendation letters and consent form by Academic jobs online(academicjobsonline.org)
- 〇 Open and closing dates : Nov. 5, 2020 – Dec. 1, 2020(Midnight as KST)
- 〇 Applicants will be responsible for any consequences of making mistakes, missing information or not submitting required documentation in their applications. If any information is found to be incorrect or false, the job offer will be withdrawn.
- 〇 Submitted documents may be returned when a request is made within three months from the announcement of the final result in accordance with Article 4 of the Enforcement Decree of the Fair Hiring Procedure Act.
- 〇 If candidates are disqualified due to a background check or a physical examination result, the job offer will be withdrawn.
- 〇 If candidates are found to be former public officials dismissed for corruption as set forth in Article 82 of the Act on the Prevention of Corruption and the Establishment of the Anti-corruption and Civil Rights Commission, the job offer will be withdrawn.
- 〇 No applicants may be hired if there are no applicants deemed qualified during the screening process.
- 〇 If hired, the job category/grade and annual salary will be determined in accordance with IBS rules and regulations.
- 〇 Successful candidates are expected to start on 1 September 2021 (subject to change).
- 〇 Workplace: Center for Theoretical Physics of the Universe, IBS HQ, Daejeon
- 〇 Inquiries: Ma-Young Kim at +82-42-878-8631 or email@example.com
Support Systems for International Researchers
Roughly one-third of all researchers at IBS are from overseas. These international researchers have three support options to adapt to life in Korea. First, IBS supplies a 24/7 service called the Global Help Desk which offers personalized help via email and phone and provides newsletters. Second, IBS created its own support website called Living in Korea with hundreds of pages of contents and hundreds more pictures. Third, every Center has several admin staff who help with a number of work and non-work situations. For more information on these support options, please see the related page on Living in Korea at https://centers.ibs.re.kr/html/living_en/overview/support.html