2020-9 Recruitment Announcement for Senior Researcher Positions(Junior Research Team Leader) at the Center for Theoretical Physics of Complex Systems
Institute for Basic Science (IBS) is a national research institute established in accordance with Article 14 of the Special Act on Establishment of and Support for International Science and Business Belts. IBS aims to discover creative knowledge and secure original technologies through world-class basic science research.
The Center for Theoretical Physics of Complex Systems aims to take up the grand challenge and to create a world-class laboratory for the nonlinear classical and quantum dynamics of nano-structured systems, and to conduct cutting edge research on phenomena at the interfaces of applied and computational theoretical condensed matter physics and optics. Our center invites a creative and dynamic talent who will help us to achieve our goals.
□ Recruitment Area and Openings
Recruitment Area and Openings
||No. of Openings
|Center for Theoretical Physics of Complex Systems
||Junior Research Team Leader**
||Theoretical Physics of Complex Systems
||- Degree: Doctoral degree
- Major: Physics
- Preferences: Research experience in theoretical physics, in particular but not exclusively with focus on Condensed Matter Physics, Mesoscopics, Quantum thermodynamics, Quantum computing, and Physics of light.
- - (Senior researcher) Require a Ph.D. degree and a track record of research in their field. Appointed for a term of up to five years and, through an evaluation, may be promoted to senior research fellow during employment.
※ In case of the Center’s closure during employment, the employment contract will be terminated accordingly.
- - Junior Research Team Leader is an internal position title of the research center. The position will be classified as IBS Senior Researcher Position. Junior Research Team Leader will lead teams of two to four center members on postdoctoral and PhD levels.
□ Qualifications and Preferences
- [General qualifications]
- • Those who have a doctoral degree from domestic/overseas universityy
- • Those who are qualified under Article 33 of the State Public Officials Act and IBS regulations
- • Those who completed mandatory military service or exempt from such service, and permitted to travel abroad
- • Additional points for persons with disabilities under Articles 3 and 4 of the Enforcement Decree of the Act on the Employment Promotion and Vocational Rehabilitation of Persons with Disabilities, or persons eligible for employment assistance under Article 29 of the Act on the Honorable Treatment of and Support for Persons, Etc. of Distinguished Service to the State.
- • Those who are “women in science, engineering and technology” under Article 2 of the Act on Fostering and Supporting Women Scientists and Technicians.
|Relevance to the recruitment area, expertise, work capability, development potential, etc.
||Select three times the number of candidates than open positions for the next screening step. Select applicants with the highest average scores (minimum average score: 80).
||CV, List of publications, Team Research Plan, Consent to Provide Personal Information(attached), 3 recommendation letters
|Expertise in the recruitment area, presentation skill, attitude, problem solving skills, development potential, fluency in foreign languages(English), etc.
||Select the final candidates with the highest average scores (minimum average score: 80) within the number of openings.
||※There can be additional required documents according to the situation at the center
※ The interview can be conducted in video interview.
□ Application Submission and Period
- 〇 How to apply: Submit your CV, list of publications, team research plan and consent form via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
- *E-mail Title:
- [2020-9 Applying for Senior Researcher position at the IBS Center for Theoretical Physics of Complex Systems] YYY ← applicant’s name
- 〇 Open and closing dates: Sep. 2, 2020 ~ Oct. 31, 2020(Until 15:00 KST)
□ Other Information
- 〇 Applicants will be responsible for any consequences of making mistakes, missing information or not submitting required documentation in their applications. If any information is found to be incorrect or false, the job offer will be withdrawn.
- 〇 Submitted documents may be returned when a request is made within three months from the announcement of the final result in accordance with Article 4 of the Enforcement Decree of the Fair Hiring Procedure Act.
- 〇 If candidates are disqualified due to a background check or a physical examination result, the job offer will be withdrawn.
- 〇 If candidates are found to be former public officials dismissed for corruption as set forth in Article 82 of the Act on the Prevention of Corruption and the Establishment of the Anti-corruption and Civil Rights Commission, the job offer will be withdrawn.
- 〇 No applicants may be hired if there are no applicants deemed qualified during the screening process.
- 〇 If hired, the job category/grade and annual salary will be determined in accordance with IBS rules and regulations.
- 〇 Successful candidates are expected to start on 16 December, 2020 (subject to change).
- 〇 Workplace: Center for Theoretical Physics of Complex Systems (IBS HQ campus, Daejeon)
- 〇 Inquiries: Mr. Ma-Young Kim at +82-42-878-8631 or email@example.com
Support Systems for International Researchers
Roughly one-third of all researchers at IBS are from overseas. These international researchers have three support options to adapt to life in Korea. First, IBS supplies a 24/7 service called the Global Help Desk which offers personalized help via email and phone and provides newsletters. Second, IBS created its own support website called Living in Korea with hundreds of pages of contents and hundreds more pictures. Third, every Center has several admin staff who help with a number of work and non-work situations. For more information on these support options, please see the related page on Living in Korea at https://centers.ibs.re.kr/html/living_en/overview/support.html