2021-04 Recruitment Announcement for Researcher Positions at the IBS Center for Multidimensional Carbon Materials
The Institute for Basic Science (IBS) is a national research institute established in accordance with Article 14 of the “Special Act on Establishment of and Support for International Science and Business Belts”. IBS aims to discover creative knowledge and secure original technologies through world-class basic science research. The IBS Center for Multidimensional Carbon Materials invites creative and dynamic candidates who will help us to achieve our goals.
□ Recruitment Details
||No. of Openings
|Postdoctoral Research Associate
||- Aberration-corrected TEM for Advanced Materials
- in situ TEM
- TEM analysis
(Characterization group led by Group Leader LEE Zonghoon)
|-Degree: Doctoral degree (obtained within 5 years or to be obtained within 3 months from the appointment start date)
-Major: Physics, Chemistry, Materials Science, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering or other related majors
-Preference: Experience in aberration-corrected TEM for 2D materials, nanomaterials, and carbon materials; experience in in situ TEM; experience in HRTEM, HRSTEM, EELS, EDS, DF imaging, diffraction, deep learning and simulation is highly desired.
||- Degree: Doctoral degree
- Major: Physics, Chemistry, Materials Science, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering or other related majors
- Preference: Experience in aberration-corrected TEM for 2D materials, nanomaterials, and carbon materials; experience in in situ TEM; experience in HRTEM, HRSTEM, EELS, EDS, DF imaging, diffraction, deep learning and simulation is highly desired.
- * Military service exemption position available (total one available for all recruitment areas)
- • Senior Researcher: Research personnel with a doctoral degree, total appointment period available up to five years (e.g., 3+2 years), may be promoted to senior research fellow through a separate evaluation.
- • Postdoctoral Research Associate: A position to conduct research training and research for a certain period of time to deepen research expertise and abilities. Those who do not exceed 5 years after obtaining their doctoral degrees, or those who are expected to obtain their doctoral degree within 3 months by the time of appointment. Total appointment period available up to three years (e.g. 1+2 years)
- ※ The employment contract will be maintained until the abolition of the Center, if the Center is determined to be abolished during the contract period.
□ Qualifications and Preferences
- [General Qualifications]
- • Those who have a required degree from domestic/overseas university
- • Those who are qualified under Article 33 of the State Public Officials Act and IBS regulations
- • Those who are permitted to travel aboard
- • Those who completed mandatory military service or exempt from such service (except for those who wish to apply for the military service exemption position)
- • Additional points for persons with disabilities under Article 3 and 4 of the Enforcement Decree of the Act on the Employment Promotion and Vocational Rehabilitation of Persons with Disabilities, or persons eligible for employment assistance under Article 29 of the Act on the Honorable Treatment of and Support for Persons, ETC. of Distinguished Service to the State.
- • Those who are “women in science, engineering and technology” under Article 2 of the Act on Fostering and Supporting Women Scientists and Technicians.
- • Fluency in English
|Relevance to the recruitment area, expertise, work capability, development potential, etc.
||Select three times the number of candidates than the opening for the next screening stage. Select applicants with the highest average scores (minimum average score: 80)
(2) List of Publications
(3) Research Plan (free form, within 1 page)
(4) Consent form for providing personal information (form attached)
※All needs to be written in English
(5) Supporting documents for persons with disabilities or eligible for veterans’ benefit, if applicable
|Expertise in the recruitment area, presentation skills, attitude, development potential, etc.
||Select the final candidates with the highest average scores within the number of openings. (minimum average score: 80)
||Be individually informed for applicants who pass document screening
□ Application Submission and Period
- • Submission via E-mail to email@example.com
- - Please state [“Area No.”] “Your Name” on the application e-mail title.
e.g.) if you are applying for senior researcher position: [②] Peter Parker
- • Period: 2021.05.11 ~ 18:00, 2021.05.26 (KST)
- ※ Please kindly note that submitting your application to only one recruitment area is doable, if submitted to multiple areas, the first application delivered will only be considered as your application. Please make sure that you state the Area Number that you wish to apply and provide the consent form for providing personal information.
□ Other Information
- • Blind hiring process will be implemented to reduce the risk of bias in the hiring decision and block out any and all identification details from candidate's resume and applications.
- • Applicants take full responsibility for any consequences resulting from omissions and errors found in submitted documents, not submitting required documents, etc. If any information is proven false, the job offer will be withdrawn.
- • If selected candidates are disqualified through a background check or a recruitment-related physical examination, the job offer will be withdrawn.
- • If selected candidates are found dismissed according to the Article 82 of the Act on the Prevention of Corruption and the Establishment and Management of the Anti-Corruption and Civil Rights Commission, the appointment will be withdrawn.
- • Submitted documents may be returned when such requests are made within three months from the announcement of recruitment results according to the Article 4 of the Enforcement Decree of the Fair Hiring Procedure Act.
- • No candidates may be hired if all candidates are found unsuitable during screening stages.
- • If hired, the work level, annual salary, etc. will comply with IBS standards.
- • Expected date of appointment is/or after August, 2021. (※Subject to change)
- • Workplace: IBS Center for Multidimensional Carbon Materials, Ulsan
- • Inquiries: Responsible staff at the IBS Center for Multidimensional Carbon Materials
(Tel.: 052-217-5756; fax: 052-217-5759; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Support Systems for International Researchers
Roughly one-third of all researchers at IBS are from overseas. These international researchers have three support options to adapt to life in Korea. First, IBS supplies a 24/7 service called the Global Help Desk which offers personalized help via email and phone and provides newsletters. Second, IBS created its own support website called Living in Korea with hundreds of pages of contents and hundreds more pictures. Third, every Center has several admin staff who help with a number of work and non-work situations. For more information on these support options, please see the related page on Living in Korea at https://centers.ibs.re.kr/html/living_en/overview/support.html