Center for Exotic Nuclear Studies
The Institute for Basic Science (IBS) is a government-funded research institute founded in November 2011 with the purpose of driving forward the development of basic science in South Korea through large-scale, long-term, and group research. IBS is currently operating Research Centers in mathematics, physics, chemistry, life sciences, Earth science and interdisciplinary sciences.
IBS invites applicants for the position of Associate Director who are senior-level researchers with high research potentials, and are able to run his or her own research group in collaboration with the director of IBS Center for Exotic Nuclear Studies.
1. Introduction of the research center
- The IBS Center for Exotic Nuclear Studies (CENS) (https://ibs.re.kr/cens/) is one of the research centers established by Institute for Basic Science (IBS). CENS is directed by HAHN Kevin Insik and located in the main IBS campus in Daejeon, South Korea. Research at the CENS is focused on carrying out novel and innovative experiments with radioactive isotope beams, developing state-of-the-art detector and target systems, and developing robust theories, all addressing the most critical questions in the structure and reactions of nuclei, the cosmic origin of the chemical elements, and the evolution and explosion of stars. Established three years ago, the CENS vision is to be an internationally renowned research group in rare isotope physics. Detector development and theoretical work is carried out in the IBS campus in Daejeon, while experimental work is performed at the nearby IBS Heavy-Ion Accelerator Research Institute as well as at international nuclear physics accelerator facilities.
- For more information, visit https://ibs.re.kr/cens
2. Job description
- The IBS Center for Exotic Nuclear Studies invites applications for the position of Associate Director from nuclear physicists of exceptional research record and leadership in the field of unstable nuclei. The Associate Director will assist the founding Director to realize the goals of CENS as well as directing his or her own research activities within the center. The Associate Director must be capable to represent the Center in scientific and policy issues among audiences ranging from the general public to the uppermost levels of researchers and policymakers.
3. Requirements for the position
- Candidates should be recognized as one of the international leaders of his or her research field with a strong record of scholarly achievements, a high intellect, and a demonstrated vision for their research field
- Candidates should have a significant record of securing research funding and of managing staff and finances
- Candidates must have very strong communication skills with demonstrated capabilities of effectively interacting with people of a wide variety of technical expertise.
- All candidates must be able to commit themselves completely in the long-term to IBS research activities.
- All candidates must be able to manage their respective research groups in collaboration with the director within Center.
- Authority to run his/her own research team.
- Sizable independent research budget (the successful candidate may negotiate with the director of the Center to finalize the size of his/her research budget and how to set up his/her budget account if necessary).
- Tenured or permanent position.
5. General Selection Procedure
- ①Recruitment of applicants by public advertisement
- ②Selection of candidates for in-depth evaluation
- ③Interview by in-depth evaluation panel
- ④Decision by the Selection & Evaluation Committee (SEC) about recommendation
- ⑤Negotiation with Director
- ⑥Appointment by IBS President
6. Application Submission
- Please fill out the ‘Application Form’ in English and email it as a single PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 21 June 2023(KST).
- E-mail title should include ‘Name of Applicant’ and Center for Exotic Nuclear Studies
[ Contact Information ]
KANG Gyong Seok, Center for Exotic Nuclear Studies
KIM Seonhea, Research Evaluation Team
1. Application Form for IBS Associate Directorial Position (2023)
2. FAQ: Selection, Organization and Operation of IBS Associate Directorship (2023)