주메뉴

IBS Conferences

[2021 IBS Art in Science 공모전]

금상_A Mother’s Hands

A Mother’s Hands

CLARISSA ELIZABETH MARIA
▲ 수상자 : CLARISSA ELIZABETH MARIA

□ 수상소감

I remember it was an ordinary Wednesday afternoon in the lab when I decided to check the competition website. I was thrilled to know that the piece I submitted for fun got a gold prize. I’d like to thank IBS for the opportunity, and everyone who voted for “A Mother’s Hands”

실험실에서의 평범한 수요일 오후를 보내다가 제가 아트인사이언스 공모전 공지사항을 확인했습니다. 재미삼아 제출한 작품이 금상을 받았다는 사실에 기뻤습니다. 기회를 주신 IBS와 'A Mother’s Hands'에 투표해주신 모든 분들께 감사드립니다.

□ 어떤 연구를 하고 있나요?

My research is mainly based on the application of liposomes for various purposes.

저는 주로 리포솜을 다양한 목적에 응용을 하는 연구를 하고 있습니다.

□ 제출한 작품은 어떤 연구 중에 나온 이미지, 영상인지 작품에 대해 설명해주세요

The image is a transmission electron microscope image (TEM) of liposomes sample that breaks and forms amorphous structures. In ideal cases, liposomes would dry up and form circular bilayer structures, but in some cases, they may break and form amorphous structures due to errors in sample preparation or just due to unforeseen circumstances such as changes in temperature, humidity, and so on. With some processing to highlight the meaning of the image, “A Mother’s Hands” was created.

이 이미지는 파괴되어 비정질적 구조를 형성하게 된 리포솜 샘플의 투과 전자 현미경 이미지(TEM)입니다. 이상적인 경우 리포솜은 건조되어 원형 이중층 구조를 형성하게 되지만, 경우에 따라 실수 또는 온도, 습도 등의 예상치 못한 상황으로 인해 파손되어 무정형 구조를 형성할 수 있습니다. 이미지의 의미를 강조하기 위해 이미지 작업을 조금 하여 "A Mother’s Hands"를 만들었습니다.

□ 작품에 나온 이미지를 연구과정 중 발견했을 때 감정, 느낌은?

I was sitting in the dark TEM room when I saw this unique amorphous structure. I’ve observed quite a handful of samples prepared in different conditions, and I’ve seen weird forms under the TEM, but this structure was definitely one of a kind. I’ve never found not even a similar structure again up until this point. I was reminded of a pair of praying hands the moment I saw that particular sample under the TEM. I took a picture and initially named the piece “Safe and Sound” for personal keepsake. I didn’t intend to submit the image to the competition; however, a friend saw the picture and suggested submitting it. After pondering for some time, I decided to rename the image as “a Mother’s Hands” and submitted it. Even though the title is officially “a Mother’s Hands”, viewers are free to interpret it as the hands of someone who will always support them, near or far. I often think of my mom and dad every time I look at the image. I sure do miss them as I cannot go home due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

저는 이 독특한 비정질 구조를 발견 했을 때 어두운 TEM연구실에 앉아 있었습니다. 다양한 조건에서 만들어진 샘플을 관찰 하면서 TE에서 이상한 형태의 구조물을 본 적은 많았지만, 이번 구조는 확실히 특별 했습니다. 지금까지도 이와 비슷한 구조는 다시 본적이 없습니다. TEM에서 해당 샘플을 본 순간 기도하는 두 손이 떠올랐습니다. 처음에는 개인적인 소장 용도로 사진을 찍고, "Safe and Sound" 라고 이름을 붙였습니다. 원래는 대회에 이미지를 제출할 생각은 없었지만, 친구가 사진을 보고 제출할 것을 제안했습니다. 한참을 고민하다가 'A Mother’s Hands'로 이름을 바꿔서 제출했습니다. 공식적인 제목은 ''A Mother’s Hands' 이기는 하지만, 보는 이들은 가까이서나 멀리서나 늘 응원해주는 누군가의 손으로 해석할 수 있습니다. 저는 종종 이미지를 볼 때마다 어머니와 아버지를 생각합니다. 코로나19로 인해 집에 갈 수 없는 상황이 되니 더욱 부모님이 그립습니다.

□ 제출한 작품을 연구할 때, 어려웠던 점은 무엇이었나요?

TEM samples are pretty random, especially for soft matters. Unlike nanoparticles that can be controlled in terms of structure and growth, we cannot control liposomes to that extent, let alone getting a perfect image under the TEM every time since we are taking a random population of the sample. But I guess that’s the joy in researching soft matters, the thrill of uncertainty.

TEM 샘플, 특히 연성 물질의 경우 무작위로 생성 됩니다. 랜덤하게 분포된 샘플에서 소수 개체만 촬영하기 때문에, 매번 TEM 아래에서 완벽한 이미지를 얻을 수 없는 것은 물론이고, 나노입자 처럼 리포솜 샘플을 구조와 성장의 측면에서 제어할 수는 없습니다. 하지만 이런 불확실성의 스릴이 연성물질을 연구하는 즐거움 입니다.

□ 기타 하고 싶은 말 ex) 진로와 향후계획, 연구자가 되기로 결심하게 된 계기

I hope through this artwork; people can be reminded that no matter where they are, there is someone that will always be supporting them. They are never alone in this world.

저의 작품을 통해 사람들이 어디에 있든 항상 그들을 지지할 누군가가 있고, 세상에서 결코 혼자가 아님을 느낄 수 있기를 바랍니다.

만족도조사

이 페이지에서 제공하는 정보에 대하여 만족하십니까?

콘텐츠담당자
홍보팀 : 이승언   042-878-8091
최종수정일 2023-11-28 14:20