본문 바로가기주요메뉴 바로가기

주메뉴

IBS Conferences

[2020 IBS Art in Science 공모전]

금상_새로운 새벽!

새로운 새벽!

Anubhab Acharya
▲ 수상자 : Anubhab Acharya(POSTECH, Dept. of Chemistry)

□ 수상소감

I perceived an immense joy when I first noticed that my image “A new dawn!” was selected and got appreciated by others. It’s quite satisfying to interpret the artistic meaning and the scientific importance of my work to the broad audience.

제 작품인 “A new dawn!”이 우승 작품으로 선정됐을 때 많은 기쁨을 느꼈습니다. 제 연구의 과학적 의미는 물론 예술성까지 대중들한테 알릴 수 있는 기회가 돼서 매우 기뻤습니다.

□ 어떤 연구를 하고 있나요?

Plasmonic nanoparticles have emerged as a pivotal area of research focusing biomedical applications using their exceptionally tunable optical properties. Our research is focused on the surface engineering of nanocrystals for advanced biocatalysis. We also study the chemical characteristics of various plasmonic nanocrystals by shining the light under an isolated nanospace confined environment.

플라스몬1) 나노입자는 조정 가능한 광학적 특성 때문에, 바이오메디컬 응용 연구에서 중추적인 분야로 부상했습니다. 저희 연구는 나노입자들 표면의 개조를 통한 차세대 생체 촉매의 개발에 관한 분야입니다. 또한 플라스몬 나노입자들에 좁은 공간 안에서 빛을 비추면서 나노결정들의 화학적 특성을 연구합니다.

□ 제출한 작품은 어떤 연구 중에 나온 이미지, 영상인지 작품에 대해 설명해주세요

The image contains asymmetric gold nanoparticles modified by amino acid. Such bird-like asymmetric growth of inorganic nanocrystals were induced by the function of chiral molecules. The observed image was resulted from the collective overgrowth of gold nanorods while controlling their chiral structure. Eventually with the help of photoshop, the work “A new dawn!” portrays the philosophy of ‘hope’.

해당 이미지는 아미노산으로 도핑 된 비대칭적 금 나노입자의 사진입니다. 우연히 카이랄성2) 분자들에 의해서 새와 비슷한 모양으로 성장하게 된 비대칭성 나노결정을 발견하게 됐습니다. 관찰된 이미지는 카이랄성 구조를 제어하면서 성장하게 된 금 나노 막대를 포착한 사진입니다. 캡처한 사진에 포토샵을 사용해서 작품을 완성하게 됐습니다. 제 작품 “A new dawn!”은 희망의 철학을 의미로 담고 있습니다.

□ 작품에 나온 이미지를 연구과정 중 발견했을 때 감정, 느낌은?
- 연구이미지에 새로운 제목과 의미를 담아 재해석하였는데, 어떤 의미가 있나요? 어떻게 영감을 받았는지 자세히 설명해주세요.

When the image was first captured under the Transmission Electron Microscope (TEM), it was more accurate in scientific aspects. However, human observation is always intriguing for new prospects in vague patterns. Gradually, I visualized the semblance of a bird figure. I imagined those birds were flying away in search of a new home, their wings gliding and striving to achieve a common goal. The arrangement of gold nanocrystals triggered me to envisage them as flock of birds flying in the golden sky, representing “A new dawn!” Metaphorically, I realized that human philosophy on life resembles a similar concept tangled with ample miseries, distress and anguish; but the hope to live our life happily always persists. This image well depicts the hope of getting motivated in every single failure of our life. And those birds flying high in the sky reminds us to keep moving forward.

투과 전자 현미경으로 처음 포착된 이미지는 과학적인 측면이 독보적이었습니다. 하지만 사람의 시각은 애매모호한 패턴에서 새로운 사물을 찾아낼 수 있는 신비로운 점이 있습니다. 해당 이미지를 오래 관찰한 결과 우연히 새와 비슷한 모양이 눈에 들어오게 됐습니다. 저는 이 새들이 새로운 집을 찾아서, 새로운 목표를 위해 날개를 치며 날아가는 모습을 상상했습니다. 이러한 나노결정들의 배열을 황금빛 하늘을 날아다니는 새들로 상상하게 되었고, 이로 하여 “A new dawn!”이라는 작품이 탄생하게 됐습니다. 저는 인간의 삶에 대한 철학은 많은 비참함, 고통, 고뇌와 얽혀있지만, 그 와중에서도 행복을 향한 희망은 언제나 지속된다는 걸 깨달았습니다. 이 이미지는 우리가 삶에서 실패를 겪을 때마다 얻는 동기부여를 잘 묘사합니다. 그리고 하늘 높이 날아가는 새들과 같이 우리도 끊임없이 앞으로 나아가라고 말해줍니다.

□ 제출한 작품을 연구할 때, 어려웠던 점은 무엇이었나요?

Nanoparticle synthesis and reproducibility always demand a lot of patience and expertise. The synthesis of these nanocrystals required many external factors to be optimized. Also, controlling the specific growth of the crystal sites by adding right proportions of additives was one of the major challenges.

나노입자 합성과 재현성은 많은 인내와 전문성이 요구됩니다. 이 나노입자들의 합성은 수많은 외부적 요인들의 최적화가 필요합니다. 또한 적절한 비율의 첨가제를 추가하여 특정 부위에서의 결정성장을 제어하는 게 주요 어려움 중 하나입니다.

□ 기타 하고 싶은 말 ex) 진로와 향후계획, 연구자가 되기로 결심하게 된 계기

I think my childish curiosity over questioning every little intriguing incident around me, constantly inspires me to look for the gratifying answers. Such idiosyncrasy motivates me to follow the path for research. In the future, I wish to pursue my carrier as an independent scientist.

제 주변 환경에서 일어나는 모든 사소한 사건에서 생기는 호기심은 저에게 항상 만족스러운 답을 찾아내고자 하는 욕구를 준다고 생각합니다. 이러한 점은 제가 연구자로서 많은 동기를 부여합니다. 저는 앞으로도 독립적인 과학자로서 경력을 쌓아나가고 싶습니다.

1) 플라스몬 : 금속 내의 자유전자가 집단적으로 진동하는 유사 입자

2) 카이랄성 : 수학, 화학, 물리학, 생물학 등 다양한 과학 분야에서 비대칭성을 가리키는 용어

만족도조사

이 페이지에서 제공하는 정보에 대하여 만족하십니까?

콘텐츠담당자
홍보팀 : 이승언   042-878-8091
최종수정일 2023-11-28 14:20