IBS Conferences
“Facing Challenges Together Regardless of Nationality is Fun” 게시판 상세보기
Title “Facing Challenges Together Regardless of Nationality is Fun”
Name 전체관리자 Registration Date 2024-03-18 Hits 665
att. png 파일명 : people3.png people3.png

“Facing Challenges Together Regardless of Nationality is Fun”

Gathering three busy scientists for a meeting was not an easy task. They were divided between the institute's headquarters and the KAIST campus, and we had to ensure that the meeting did not interfere with their frequent academic seminars. In the 2nd floor lounge of the newly open IBS KAIST campus, we met researchers Lidiya Getachew GEBEYEHU (Center for Vascular Research), Luiz Felipe VECCHIETTI (Data Science Group, Pioneer Research Center for Mathematical and Computational Sciences), and Xiang LYU (Center for Catalytic Hydrocarbon Functionalizations).

좌측부터 샹(Xiang Lyu, 분자활성 촉매반응 연구단), 리디아(Lidiya Getachew Gebeyehu, 혈관 연구단) 필리페(Luiz Felipe Vecchietti, 수리 및 계산 과학 연구단 데이터 사이언스 그룹)

Q. Can you introduce yourselves?

Lidiya: Hi. I’m Lidiya Getachew GEBEYEHU, a doctor from Ethiopia. I am working on my PhD, studying the development of lymphatic vessels and related diseases at the Center for Vascular Research.

Felipe: I’m Luiz Felipe VECHIETTIecchietti from Brazil. I’m a senior researcher in the Data Science Group (Pioneer Research Center for Mathematical and Computational Sciences). I study proteins using artificial intelligence (AI). I examine protein interactions or design them.

Xiang: I’m senior researcher Xiang LYU from China. I work at the Center for Catalytic Hydrocarbon Functionalizations. I’m studying methods to synthesize lactams using carbon and hydrogen.

Q. How did you come all the way to IBS?

Lidiya: I came to Korea 2 years ago. Ever since in Ethiopia, I wanted to do research in a better environment. I was also intrigued by the research of the Center for Vascular Research.

Felipe: I first came to Korea as an undergraduate in 2013, through an exchange student program sponsored by the Brazilian government. Korea left a strong impression then. I went back to Brazil and got my master’s degree and came to KAIST for my doctorate in 2017. I got my degree in robotics. Then I heard of the AI-related research of CI CHA Meeyoung, and I decided to study this area. I’m currently working as a postdoctoral fellow.

Xiang: I got my PhD in 2018, at Southampton University in the UK. I got to know Director CHANG Sukbok during my dissertation defense. I always had an interest in organic chemistry. After the PhD, I was looking for a postdoc position. Just in time, the Center was hiring. I applied immediately and got to IBS.

좌측부터 샹(Xiang Lyu, 분자활성 촉매반응 연구단), 리디아(Lidiya Getachew Gebeyehu, 혈관 연구단) 필리페(Luiz Felipe Vecchietti, 수리 및 계산 과학 연구단 데이터 사이언스 그룹)

Q. How is your research at IBS?

Lidiya: fun and exciting. I’m happy that there’s no shortage of support so that we can take up challenging research. There are great facilities and good support for data use.

Felipe: Standing in the frontline of difficult, challenging problems is what I find the most attractive. Everyone’s great: senior researchers and mentors, and junior colleagues that study together. Even when I’m having a hard time, I’m not afraid to come to the lab. That’s how much I enjoy researching here. I feel like I have grown to another level.

Xiang: IBS has great teamwork. There are colleagues who help and give the right push. In the Center, there are experts in many different fields. When an expert in a different area helps my research, the results are closer to being perfect. This is the best part about IBS research centers.

Q. Anything unsatisfactory?

Xiang: Nothing. (laughter)

Felipe: (Because I’m a data scientist) Research is difficult because there is so much data in this era. But that’s a problem for any researcher.

Q. What was the most difficult thing for you when adjusting to IBS?

Lidiya: It’s not necessarily IBS, but adjusting to a new country was difficult. Being apart from family was hard. I couldn’t go to family gatherings.

Felipe: The cultural differences. When I came to Korea as an undergraduate, Korean culture was difficult to approach. Since I’ll be here only a short time, I didn’t want to accept change. But when I came back for my PhD and research, I adjusted actively. New incoming researchers will probably go through the same process that I did. Please be patient and adapt!

Xiang: In my case, since there are similarities between Chinese and Korean culture, I did not have a hard time adjusting. But being unable to travel overseas or communicate due to COVID-19 was hard, though.

Q. Is there anything you want from IBS?

Lidiya: I wish there would be more opportunities for young researchers from around the world to come to IBS.

Felipe: More opportunities to interact with other researchers. Not just within a research center; I hope to interact with other research teams. Also, I hope we do more research that can resolve social problems.

Xiang: The dormitory is great, but it’s bad that we can only use it for 1 year (laughter). I also wish there were an open-house event to visit other centers. That will trigger interaction and inspire new research ideas.

Q. What are your plans for the future?

Lidiya: I’m currently working on my PhD, so getting the degree is my goal. After that, I want to research clinical trials. If there are related fields in the IBS, I want to continue working here. But nothing’s set in stone.

Felipe: I want to continue researching ways to resolve social problems. Like climate change. In the long term, I want to be a professor. I hope to become a good role model for people undergoing discrimination.

Xiang: I want to work at IBS and research biochemistry-related topics. I hope to find a sustainable research model, like the development of new drugs.

Q. Lastly, what kind of a scientist do you want to be?

Lidiya: A courageous scientist, who never gives up. I’ll study ways to treat lymphedema.

Felipe: I’ll be a researcher who can think that my colleagues’ success is my success.

Xiang: A biochemist who discovers new and efficient chemical reactions.

Research

Are you satisfied with the information on this page?

Content Manager
Public Relations Team : Suh, William Insang   042-878-8137
Last Update 2023-11-28 14:20