New Year Message from the President of IBS 게시판 상세보기
Title New Year Message from the President of IBS
Department President Registration Date 2015-01-02 Hits 2873
att.

New Year Message from the President of IBS

2015 will be the Year IBS Takes its First Great Leap Forward with “IBS 2.0”

My IBS family,

2015, the Year of the Sheep is upon us.

I would like to thank you all including our members at IBS research centers for your dedication and hard work. Though it has been just over 100 days since my inauguration as the IBS president, I have seen great achievements made possible at IBS all thanks to the relentless efforts shown by you.

As of the end of 2014, 24 IBS research centers have been launched and now up and running, exploring the unknown world and making new discoveries. Many IBS research centers have already been raising their profiles in the world with top research achievements.

Efforts to construct IBS research center buildings and a rare isotope accelerator have gained momentum since the government finalized the construction plan for the central district of the International Science and Business Belt (ISBB). The ISBB Vision Declaration, which was held last November reminded us of what IBS stands for and has been entrusted with as a leader in opening a new chapter in the history of basic science in Korea.

Though we are relatively a new research institute, the world is already paying attention to us. A number of national research institutions and scientific organizations have reached out to us to develop and strengthen long-term partnerships.

All of these achievements are a result of your passion and commitment.

IBS family,

For the past three years, we have been able to lay the foundation for the stable operation of IBS by making every effort at every level. As we pass the “foundation stage”, it is time for us to set new resolutions and goals in order to make a great leap forward.

I would like to use the term “IBS 2.0” to describe what I envision for the future of IBS. I want to share with you the new resolutions and goals we will seek to accomplish in order to make 2015 the year in which we will first realize the vision of “IBS 2.0”, and in doing so, allow IBS to evolve into a greater research institute.

Firstly, I will make sure that the construction of research centers and a rare isotope accelerator, which are needed for IBS to become a global research institute, goes off smoothly and without a hitch.

The IBS complex will be built at the center of Daejeon city, the central district of the ISBB with its working design scheduled for completion by the end of 2015. Its location and surroundings enable IBS to tap into the city’s infrastructure, promote local development and attract excellent scientists. I am very confident to say that when completed, the IBS complex will become a landmark for Korea’s basic science that the county, as well as Daejeon city may take pride in.

I will also make sure that the construction of a rare isotope accelerator, which includes the construction of facilities as well as R&D programs for the construction of devices, continues to proceed on the right track in order to develop the infrastructure into the world’s most successful research base.

Second, IBS will enhance national prestige by delivering top basic research achievements and strive to foster the next-generation leaders in research.

From the beginning, one of its missions has been to make new discoveries that will enhance human welfare as well as to contribute to national development by pursuing creative and adventurous research in basic science. IBS will continue to maintain thorough evaluation processes to select top scientists as IBS directors. As IBS directors will be guaranteed full support and autonomy, they are able to pursue research that is otherwise not available outside of IBS.

In particular, IBS will aggressively seek to foster young scientists who will lead the future of basic science for the country as well as for IBS.

Third, I will ensure that IBS gains the trust of the scientific community and is recognized as one of its members.

IBS is still not immune to misunderstanding and controversy over research funds and the selection of research centers. This challenging time requires us to be ever more responsible and dedicated to our work and to ensure high-quality research and transparent research expenditure.

We also need to communicate more often with researchers outside of IBS and gain the general understanding of the concrete role that IBS plays in advancing the country’s basic science. All IBS HQ employees, including myself, will come forward to let people know what IBS really stands for; I would also like to ask all our research center members to join in this effort.

Fourth, IBS will be reorganized to provide a research support system of the highest standard and create an optimal research atmosphere to ensure research of the highest quality.

IBS HQ will be restructured with the Division of Research Support at the forefront of IBS HQ to put more emphasis of its support system on researchers, creating an optimal research environment that is comparable to other global research institutions.

I would like to ask all IBS HQ employees to share this mindset: we only can create a better research environment and enhance the quality of research when the IBS support system is up to the global standard. You play an important role in this historical mission, so please take pride in achieving this goal.

Last but not least, IBS will be more open to communication.

I cannot emphasize enough the importance of communication for us to move forward. Since the buildings for HQ research centers have not yet been built and campus and extramural research centers are scattered all over the country, the lack of communication has been inevitable within IBS, resulting in inefficiency of work performance and misunderstanding.

To facilitate effective communication, I will make numerous occasions for us to meet, socialize, and understand each other. With a better understanding of each other, we will be more united as one IBS family. It is also my belief that frequent and effective exchanges will inspire us to be more creative, whether it be support staff or researchers.

My dear IBS family,

When we work together, we can achieve far more than we expect.

Let us work hand in hand this year.

I wish you all the best and good luck for 2015.

Thank you.

January 2, 2015

Doochul Kim

President of IBS

Research

Are you satisfied with the information on this page?

Content Manager
Public Relations Team : Suh, William Insang   042-878-8137
Last Update 2023-11-28 14:20