Call for Applications for Associate Director Position of "Center for Climate Physics" in the Institute for Basic Science (IBS)
IBS invites applications for the position of Associate Directors who are senior-level researchers with high research potentials, running own research group in collaboration with the directors within their Research Centers.
1. Introduction of the research center
- - Over the past century increasing anthropogenic greenhouse gas emissions have become the main driver for global climate change. In response to the corresponding increased downward infrared radiation, the earth's surface warms, Arctic sea-ice retreats, sea level rises, climate and weather patterns shift. The absorption of anthropogenic CO2 by the ocean has affected ocean chemistry, leading to Ocean Acidification and fish-hypercapnia. To cope and adapt to the resulting environmental and ecological changes, humanity needs robust estimates of both, forced climate change and internally generated variability on global and regional scales. Many decisions on adaption and mitigation need to be made over the next decades to limit climate damage costs and prevent long-term irreversible loss of coastlines, human livelihoods and ecosystems. Making such decisions has proven difficult, in particular in the context of the prevailing uncertainties in our physical understanding of the climate system. Some of the most persistent uncertainties are related to the overall sensitivity of our earth system to greenhouse gas forcing, regional patterns of future rainfall changes, the nature of carbon cycle/climate feedbacks, potential ice-sheet thresholds and the magnitude of the projected global and regional sea-level rise. Addressing these scientific challenges requires a concerted multi-disciplinary effort
- - The goal of the IBS Center for Climate Physics (ICCP) is to improve the understanding of global and regional climate processes and sensitivities, and to develop new research frontiers in earth system science by means of high-performance computer simulations and observational analysis. The ICCP searches for a scientific leader in the field of climate and monsoon dynamics with an emphasis on regional climate processes.
- - (for more information) http://ibsclimate.org
2. Job description
- - The Associate Director will play a key role in assisting the founding director of the ICCP in managing the institute and its multi-disciplinary activities. Applicants should be international leaders in the field of climate and monsoon dynamics with an outstanding scholarly record, experience in managing large research groups and programs, commitment to multi-disciplinary research, a strong future vision for synergistic research activities at the ICCP and extraordinary communication and networking skills. The Associate Director will manage his/her own research group on Hydroclimate dynamics using funds provided by the IBS.
3. Requirements for the position (including the specific requirements set by the host institution or the research center)
- - The candidate should have a Ph.D. in atmospheric science, meteorology or related fields and be recognized as one of international leaders in the research field of climate and monsoon dynamics. The Associate Director candidates need to demonstrate outstanding financial and staff management experience, organization and communication skills and must have the ability to work independently while integrating themselves effectively into ICCP's multi-disciplinary work environment. All candidates are expected to commit themselves completely to IBS research activities.
- - Authority to run his/her own research team within the ICCP
- - Sizable independent research budget
- - Tenured or permanent position in Pusan National University
5. General Selection Procedure
- ① Recruitment of applicants by public advertisement
- ② Selection of candidates for in-depth evaluation
- ③ Symposium and in-depth interview by review panel
- ④ Decision by the SEC(Selection & Evaluation Committee) about recommendation
- ⑤ Negotiation with director
- ⑥ Appointment by the president
6. Application Submission
- - Please fill out the 'Application Form' in English and email it as a single PDF file to email@example.com no later than May 17th, 2017
- - E-mail title should include 'Name of Applicant' and 'Name of the Research Center'
[ Contact Information ]
- KIM Da Hye, Research Evaluation Team
- Division of Research Service
- Institute for Basic Science. 70, Yuseong-daero 1689-gil, Yuseong-gu, Daejeon, Republic of Korea 34047
- Tel. No.: +82-42-878-8204
- Fax No.: +82-42-878-8065
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
7. Download link for 'Application Form' and 'FAQ'