주요메뉴 바로가기 본문 바로가기

주메뉴

IBS Conferences

Scientists talk science in movies

Lucy (2014)

view slide view page scroll

Lucy (Scarlett Johansson), an American student in Taiwan, stumbles into the murky world of drug smuggling controlled by a ruthless Korean crime lord (Choi Min Sik). Her brain is permanently altered by an illegal synthetic drug, CPH4 – her physical and mental capabilities evolve beyond human comprehension and she seeks out the help of neuroscientist Dr. Samuel Norman (Morgan Freeman), perhaps the only human capable of comprehending her plight.

1) IBS Center for Neuroscience Imaging Research. Doctor HEO Chaejeong's science movie for October, Lucy

2) I am Everywhere - the closing line of the 2014 sci-fi movie. Lucy becomes a fully sentient being after reaching 100% cerebral capacity

3) Lucy, an American student in Taiwan, stumbles into the murky world of drug smuggling controlled by a ruthless Korean crime lord (Choi Min Sik).

4) I was on a flight to the US and this was the only movie connected to the brain so I watched it, I didn't enjoy the violence but rather the director's interpretation of the brain's power.

5) Dr. Heo was particularly taken with a scene in which Lucy, operating at near full cerebral capacity, travels back to the beginning of everything, to experience the Big Bang

6) The premise of the movie is based upon a well know yet scientifically inaccurate fact; we use only 10% of our brain's full capacity.

7) Lucy remembers the most vivid details from her childhood, she even remembers the feeling of her bones growing.

8) In the movie the fictional drug, CPH4 transforms Lucy into a superhuman, capable of controlling and manipulating matter.

9) Increase brain power? Nutrition and sleep are essential in maintaining our brains.

10) Dr. Samuel Norman stresses the importance for scholars to transfer information to the next generation.

11) next movie - Man in Black will be the focus of Science Talk

view Article

Research

Are you satisfied with the information on this page?

Content Manager
Communications Team : Kwon Ye Seul   042-878-8237
Last Update 2023-11-28 14:20