Tenure-track Research Position at the IBS Center for Multidimensional Carbon Materials
The Institute for Basic Science (IBS) is a national research institute established in accordance with Article 14 of the “Special Act on Establishment of and Support for International Science and Business Belts”. IBS aims to discover creative knowledge and secure original technologies through world-class basic science research. The IBS Center for Multidimensional Carbon Materials invites creative and dynamic candidates who will help us to achieve our goals.
■ Recruitment Details
||No. of Openings
|Center for Multidimensional Carbon Materials
|Organic Chemistry, Supramolecular Chemistry, Materials Chemistry
||- Degree: Doctoral degree
- Major: Chemical Synthesis
- Preference: Organic and materials synthesis, previous postdoctoral experience highly desired
※ Cf. below
※ We seek candidates for a tenure track position with specialty in chemical synthesis and creation of new materials including chemical organic frameworks (COFs), metal organic frameworks (MOFS) and the ability to broadly work on issues related to all chemical syntheses and characterization of products. The candidate must be fluent in both oral and written English, and will work on projects aimed at the creation of novel COFs, MOFs, and carbon and related materials. It is highly desirable that the candidate has working experience with (i) synthesis of COFs and MOFs (ii) synthesis of nanoporous materials (iii) characterization of all intermediates and products of chemical syntheses (iv) material characterization techniques ranging from NMR, XRD, XPS, electron microscopy, thermal analysis, various spectroscopies (Raman, FT-IT, UV-Vis-NIR), gas adsorption measurements including to extract values such as specific surface area and information about pore size and volume, among others. In addition, familiarity with the basic aspects of carbon materials is valued.
※ Classification of Research Positions (tenure-track and non-tenure-track)
1. Types of Employment
- ‣ Tenure-track
- Eligible for a tenure* review if certain requirements are met after employment
- ‣ Non-Tenure track
- Not eligible for a tenure* review, employment ends with the expiration of the employment contract
* Tenure guarantees employment until the age of 65 without renewals of contracts.
2. Terms and Conditions
- - Employment under a contract of which initial term is maximum five years (not applicable to tenured researchers)
- - Ipso facto resignation after a maximum of seven years of employment
- ‣ Tenure Review
- If those in tenure-track research positions have met certain requirements, the Personnel Committee for IBS Research Centers conducts a tenure review on whether to appoint them as tenured researchers.
- ‣ Second Review and Resignation
- Those who fail to obtain tenure must leave when their employment term ends but may be granted limited opportunities for a second review.
4. Non-Tenure track
- - Ipso facto resignation after a maximum of five years of employment
- - Those who are qualified under the “State Public Officials Act”
(Refer to the disqualifying factors listed in Article 33.)
- - Those who completed mandatory military service or exempt from such service, and permitted to travel abroad
- - Additional points for those who submit supporting documents proving they are persons with disabilities or eligibility for patriot & veteran benefits under relevant laws and decrees
- - Female scientists and engineers
- - Degrees and certificates in relevant areas
- - Fluency in foreign languages
■ Candidate Screening
|Candidate Screening Method
||–Relevancy to the recruitment area
–Excellence of research achievements
–Full transcripts of university and higher education
–CV and list of research achievements
||–Expertise in the recruitment area
–Attitudes and adaptability to organizational culture
–Presentation skills and diligence
–CV and list of research achievements
■ Application Submission and Period
- - Application Submission: Fill in the application form and submit via e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- - ○Period: Fri, Feb 1st, 2019 ~ 23:00 (KST), Sun, Feb 24th, 2019
■ Additional Information
- - Applicants take full responsibility for any consequences resulting from omissions and errors found in submitted documents, not submitting required documents, etc. If any information is proven false, the job offer will be withdrawn.
- - None of the submitted documents will be returned.
- - If selected candidates are disqualified through a background check or a recruitment-related physical examination, the job offer will be withdrawn.
- - No candidates may be hired if all candidates are found unsuitable during the screening stage.
- - If hired, the work level, annual salary, etc. will comply with IBS standards.
- - Workplace: Center for Multidimensional Carbon Materials, Ulsan
- - Inquiries: Ms. Cherin Sohn at the IBS Center for Multidimensional Carbon Materials (Tel.: 052-217-5753; fax: 052-217-5759; e-mail: email@example.com)