2022-3 Recruitment Announcement for Senior Researcher Position at the Center for Theoretical Physics of Complex Systems
Institute for Basic Science (IBS) is a national research institute established in accordance with Article 14 of
the Special Act on Establishment of and Support for International Science and Business Belts. IBS aims to
discover creative knowledge and secure original technologies through world-class basic science research.
The Center for Theoretical Physics of Complex Systems aims to take up the grand challenge and to create a
world-class laboratory for the nonlinear classical and quantum dynamics of nano-structured systems, and to
conduct cutting edge research on phenomena at the interfaces of applied and computational theoretical condensed
matter physics and optics. Our center invites a creative and dynamic talent who will help us to achieve our
□ Recruitment Area and Openings
Recruitment Area and Openings
||No. of Openings
|Center for Theoretical Physics of Complex Systems
||Theoretical Physics of Complex Systems
||- Degree: Doctoral degree
- Major: Physics
- Preferences: Research
experience in quantum matter and quantum optics in particular but not exclusively with focus on
quantum many-body interactions, FQHE, graphene, entanglement and topology are welcome among others.
- - [Senior researcher] will be eligible to renew employment contract once after the initial term and the total employment period is up to five years. Also, they may be promoted to a Senior Research Fellow through a separate evaluation.
- ※ In case of the Center’s closure during employment, the employment contract will be terminated accordingly.
□ Qualifications and Preferences
- [General qualifications]
- • Those who have a doctoral degree from domestic/overseas university
- • Those who are qualified under Article 33 of the State Public Officials Act and IBS regulations
- • Those who completed mandatory military service or exempt from such service, and permitted to travel abroad
- • Additional points for persons with disabilities under Articles 3 and 4 of the Enforcement Decree of the
Act on the Employment Promotion and Vocational Rehabilitation of Persons with Disabilities, or persons
eligible for employment assistance under Article 29 of the Act on the Honorable Treatment of and Support for
Persons, Etc. of Distinguished Service to the State.
- • Those who are “women in science, engineering and technology” under Article 2 of the Act on Fostering and
Supporting Women Scientists and Technicians
□ Screening procedure
|Relevance to the recruitment area, expertise, work capability, development potential, etc.
||Select five times the number of candidates than open positions for the next screening step.
Select applicants with the highest average scores (minimum average score: 80).
|CV, list of publications, research plan, 2 recommendation letters, consent form (attached)
|Expertise in the recruitment area, presentation skill, attitude, problem solving skills, development
potential, fluency in foreign languages (English), etc.
||Number of vacancies will be selected for the interview in order of the highest scores with the
minimum average score of 80. The procedure allows for a successful candidate and up to two
additional waiting list candidates per opening in accordance with the scores
||※There can be additional required documents according to the situation at the center
□ Application Submission and Period
- 〇 How to apply: Submit CV, list of publications, research plan, 2 recommendation letters, consent form via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- *E-mail Title: [2022-3 Applying for senior researcher position at the IBS Center for Theoretical Physics of Complex Systems] YYY ← applicant’s name
- 〇 Open and closing dates: May 13, 2022 ~ May 30, 2022 (Until 18:00, KST)
□ Other Information
- 〇 Blind hiring process will be implemented to reduce the risk of bias in the hiring decision and block out
any and all identification details from candidate's resume and applications.
- 〇 Applicants will be responsible for any consequences of making mistakes, missing information or not
submitting required documentation in their applications. If any information is found to be incorrect or
false, the job offer will be withdrawn.
- 〇 Submitted documents may be returned when a request is made within three months from the announcement of
the final result in accordance with Article 4 of the Enforcement Decree of the Fair Hiring Procedure Act.
- 〇 If candidates are disqualified due to a background check or a physical examination result, the job offer
will be withdrawn.
- 〇 If candidates are found to be former public officials dismissed for corruption as set forth in Article 82
of the Act on the Prevention of Corruption and the Establishment of the Anti-corruption and Civil Rights
Commission, the job offer will be withdrawn.
- 〇 No applicants may be hired if there are no applicants deemed qualified during the screening process.
- 〇 If hired, the job category/grade and annual salary will be determined in accordance with IBS rules and
- 〇 Successful candidates are expected to start on July 16, 2022 (subject to change).
- 〇 Workplace: Center for Theoretical Physics of Complex Systems (IBS HQ campus, Daejeon)
- 〇 Inquiries: email@example.com