2020-05 Recruitment Announcement for Senior Researcher Positions
at the IBS Center for Soft and Living Matter
The Institute for Basic Science (IBS) is a national research institute established in accordance with Article 14 of the Special Act on Establishment of and Support for International Science and Business Belt. IBS aims to advance the frontiers of knowledge and drive the development of future technologies through world-class basic science research.
Founded on 2014, the IBS Center for Soft and Living Matter (CSLM), this interdisciplinary center combines the fields of chemistry, physics, and biology. Recent outcomes from this IBS Center were published in Science, Nature, Nature Nanotechnology, Nature Communications, PNAS, Science (in press) and more. Recent alumni took positions as assistant professor in Korean universities, the U.S., and Europe. Alumni of Director Granick are professors at approximately 30 universities around the world (Stanford, Yale, Illinois, UCSD, and more) and in Korea (POSTECH, UNIST, and Kookmin University). Details are on the center website.
□ Recruitment Details
||No. of Opening
||[Soft and Living Matter]
·Nanochemistry, Organometallic Chemistry
·Microfluidics, Organ-on-a-chip, Lab-on-a-chip
|- Degree : Doctoral Degree or those who are expected to obtain a doctoral degree within 3 months by the time of appointment
- Major : Chemistry, Physics, Life, Bioengineering, Chemical Engineering, Machinery, Materials, etc. related research fields
- Preference : Research experience in related fields over 5 years(1st author, Honor and award), Fluent in English
- - (Senior researcher) Require a Ph.D. degree and a track record of research in their field. Appointed for a term of up to five years and, through an evaluation, may be promoted to senior research fellow during employment.
※ In case of the Center’s closure during employment, the employment contract will be terminated accordingly.
□ Qualifications and Preferences
- [General qualifications]
- • Those who have a doctoral degree from domestic/overseas university
- • Those who are qualified under Article 33 of the State Public Officials Act and IBS regulations
- • Those who completed mandatory military service or exempt from such service, and permitted to travel abroad
- • Additional points for persons with disabilities under Articles 3 and 4 of the Enforcement Decree of the Act on the Employment Promotion and Vocational Rehabilitation of Persons with Disabilities, or persons eligible for employment assistance under Article 29 of the Act on the Honorable Treatment of and Support for Persons, Etc. of Distinguished Service to the State.
- • Those who are “women in science, engineering and technology” under Article 2 of the Act on Fostering and Supporting Women Scientists and Technicians.
|Relevance to the recruitment area, expertise, work capability, development potential, etc.
||Select three times the number of candidates than the opening for the next screening stage. Select applicants with the highest average scores (minimum average score: 80)
||- CV including Publications
- Consent form for providing personal information (form attached)
- Supporting documents for persons with disabilities or eligible for veterans’ benefit, if necessary
|Expertise in the recruitment area, presentation skills, attitude, development potential, etc.
||Select the final candidates with the highest average scores within the number of openings. (minimum average score: 80)
||- Be individually informed for applicants who pass document screening
□ Application Submission and Period
- • How to Apply: Submission via E-mail to email@example.com
- • Period: 2020.09.04 (Fri) ~ 2020.09.23 (Wed), 23:00 KST
□ Other Information
- • Applicants take full responsibility for any consequences resulting from omissions and errors found in submitted documents, not submitting required documents, etc. If any information is proven false, the job offer will be withdrawn.
- • If selected candidates are disqualified through a background check or a recruitment-related physical examination, the job offer will be withdrawn.
- • If selected candidates are found dismissed according to the Article 82 of the Act on the Prevention of Corruption and the Establishment and Management of the Anti-Corruption and Civil Rights Commission, the appointment will be withdrawn.
- • Submitted documents may be returned when such requests are made within three months from the announcement of recruitment results according to the Article 4 of the Enforcement Decree of the Fair Hiring Procedure Act.
- • No candidates may be hired if all candidates are found unsuitable during the screening stages.
- • If hired, the work level, annual salary, etc. will comply with IBS standards.
- • Expected date of appointment is November 1st, 2020. (※ subject to change)
- • Workplace: IBS Center for Soft and Living Matter (UNIST Campus, Ulsan)
- • Inquiries: Responsible staff at the IBS Center for Soft and Living Matter
(Tel : 052-217-5507, Fax : 052-217-5509, E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org)
Support Systems for International Researchers
Roughly one-third of all researchers at IBS are from overseas. These international researchers have three support options to adapt to life in Korea. First, IBS supplies a 24/7 service called the Global Help Desk which offers personalized help via email and phone and provides newsletters. Second, IBS created its own support website called Living in Korea with hundreds of pages of contents and hundreds more pictures. Third, every Center has several admin staff who help with a number of work and non-work situations. For more information on these support options, please see the related page on Living in Korea at https://centers.ibs.re.kr/html/living_en/overview/support.html