주요메뉴 바로가기 본문 바로가기

주메뉴

IBS Conferences
Welcoming Remarks of the IBS President at the Groundbreaking Ceremony for the IBS Complex 게시판 상세보기
Title Welcoming Remarks of the IBS President at the Groundbreaking Ceremony for the IBS Complex
Department President Registration Date 2016-06-30 Hits 6270
att.  

Distinguished guests, ladies and gentlemen,

I’m immensely delighted and grateful to welcome you all to this ground-breaking ceremony for the IBS Complex. We are gathered here to celebrate one of the most crucial moments in the history of science and technology development in Korea.

First of all, I would like to thank the first Vice Minister of Science, ICT and Future Planning HONG Nam-Ki for his meaningful remarks.

I would also like to thank the Daejeon Metropolitan City Mayor KWON Sun-Taik, Lawmakers LEE Eun-Kwon and LEE Sang-Min for their invaluable support for the construction of the IBS complex.

We have many other distinguished and influential guests from major research institutes, universities and government agencies; I cannot name them all, but please let me extend my gratitute to all the guests who have attended this event today.

IBS, a representative basic research institute of Korea

IBS was launched with the mission of generating creative knowledge and this year marks our 5th anniversary. We have endeavored to unshackle ourselves from convention and set a new standard for undertaking research: We selected centers soley focused on the scientific excellence of directors, maximized researchers’ autonomy and boldly adopted qualitative review and peer-review methods to evaluate centers’ performance. These are but a few examples of our efforts to lead from the front in basic science research in Korea.

At IBS, our key philosophy is to recruit outstanding researchers and encourage them to freely follow where their curiosity leads.

Many scientists from across the world have shown interest in and given support for our efforts. Thanks to their support and our researchers’ dedication, we are successfully positioning ourselves as a representative basic research institute of Korea.

Globally noticeable research outcomes are coming out and visibility of IBS in the world of science is continuously rising; for instance Nature recently named IBS as one of the rising stars in basic science. Honorable guests, ladies and gentlemen

Korea is now at a critical juncture to make another big leap forward based on what we have achieved in science and technology over the last five decades. I believe the future of our country lies in basic science. IBS, as a research institute dedicated to basic science, will sow the seeds of innovation looking ahead five decades, a century and beyond.

Visions for the IBS Complex

By the end of next year, the first stage of construction will be completed and HQ centers, which now are dispersed across the country, will begin moving into the IBS Complex. By the year 2021, the entire IBS Complex will be completed and 15 HQ centers will have been relocated to the complex.

This moment will signal IBS as not only the national basic science hub, but a global research mecca, attracting quality talent from around the globe. IBS’s research capacity will further expand and stronger collaborations with universities and basic research communities will be forged.

IBS will serve as a catalyst for Korea’s scientific development and birth of new industries, which will ultimately help strengthen the global standing of our country.

IBS, a new beginning at the Expo Science Park

Twenty three years ago, at this Expo Science Park, Daejeon Expo 93 was held. One hundred and eight countries participated and 14 million people visited.

I still remember its theme, “The Challenge of a New Road of Development.” As the new owner of this historic site, we will honor that spirit and lay a new cornerstone for national development.

IBS and its world-class talent will greatly contribute to job creation and the growth of Daejeon city. IBS will redefine relationships between people and science as an open research institute in an urban area and engage in quality science outreach activities. We will play a significant role in civil society and in developing Daejeon into a global city of science.

Distinguished guests, ladies and gentlemen

IBS is firmly focused on being at the forefront of change and innovation.

Thank you again for joining us and witnessing our new beginning for a brighter future.

Research

Are you satisfied with the information on this page?

Content Manager
Public Relations Team : Suh, William Insang   042-878-8137
Last Update 2023-11-28 14:20