주요메뉴 바로가기 본문 바로가기

주메뉴

IBS Conferences
Inaugural Address by the 2nd IBS President 게시판 상세보기
Title Inaugural Address by the 2nd IBS President
Department President Registration Date 2014-09-22 Hits 2738
att.

Former IBS President Se-Jung Oh, Director Hee-Sup Shin, distinguished guests, and my fellow IBS employees,

I am profoundly grateful to all of you for your presence here today, and am greatly honored to stand before you as the 2nd President of the Institute for Basic Science.

When IBS was first established, the scientific community placed high hopes and expectations on the institute to create a new, basic science research ecosystem in Korea. IBS remains as much a beacon of hope for the basic science community now as it was then, when state-level, large-scale, basic science research came to the public’s attention as a new driving force for future national developments. IBS has since, been successfully moving forward as the center of basic science in Korea with its constant efforts to take national basic science to the next level while delivering valuable new knowledge. I would like to thank the 1st IBS President Se-Jung Oh, Director Hee-Sup Shin, and all IBS employees for your continuous dedication and effort.

IBS embraces four basic principles: excellence, openness, autonomy, and creativity. With well-prepared implementation policies that uphold these four principles, I will do my utmost to make IBS the hub for global research activities and a place to nurture the next-generation of research leaders.

“Back to Basics” is a timeless concept, which I will embrace throughout my term as IBS president. I will faithfully fulfill the role on the basis of these four IBS principles.

Excellence: IBS, having successfully passed the startup stage, is now entering into the institute’s growth and regular operational stage, which will require us to keep our momentum going. To this end, via continued open invitations and scouting methods, I will make sure that IBS selects directors and establishes research centers on the basis of research areas that allow us to pursue excellence in research, and that also meet the national strategic needs.

The principle of excellence will also be maintained throughout the composition of IBS HQ and its research center staff, in addition to IBS directors. IBS will continuously promote the culture of providing its people with the opportunity to grow. By upholding this promise, I will strive to make IBS a leading research institute in Korea.

Openness: I will design and promote programs that will allow the Korean basic science community to be more involved in IBS research. I will implement measures to invite great researchers to be directors of HQ research centers and to highlight the benefit of basing HQ research centers in Daejeon, the city of science in Korea. I will also make efforts to raise the international reputation of IBS by encouraging many international scholars to participate in IBS research. With these diverse personnel exchanges, IBS will emerge as an optimal research institute where researchers can gain great ideas and expand their scientific knowledge.

Autonomy: I will value the unique aspect of basic science research: curiosity-driven research is as effective, if not more so, than direct research for solutions to specific issues. IBS will always strive to identify the specific needs of each research center in order to facilitate forefront research. In line with this, IBS will establish a proactive research support system, and will set in place a democratic decision-making process by examining the current IBS governance structure. This will allow each IBS member to participate in the decision-making process, therefore raising the level of their dedication and pride in IBS.

Creativity: I will promote the culture of creative research within IBS so that IBS can lead a basic science research paradigm shift in Korea. Creating an optimal research space is one of the ways to build a creative research environment. To expedite the construction of the IBS complex, I will make sure that relevant budget and administrative measures are taken immediately. I believe that the IBS complex should be designed to facilitate communication amongst those who make use of the IBS HQ building and other research center buildings. This is one of our efforts to make IBS an ideal forum where the best minds can gather to collaborate and produce excellence in research outcomes.

Furthermore, I will put more emphasis on the efforts to disseminate scientific knowledge and culture in order to bring IBS closer to the public. I will endeavor to harmoniously coordinate the government’s willingness, the public’s support, and the science community’s cooperation in order to establish IBS as a world-leading research institution.

My fellow IBS employees,

History has shown us that discoveries in basic science eventually come back to transform our society and repay the original investment multifold. Also in today’s world, a “Creative Economy” is becoming a global trend that no country can afford to ignore. This suggests that science and technology built on creativity is at the core of future developments for humanity. IBS has been assigned the great task of joining this trend to advance our own science and technology.

The responsibility I take on to lead IBS to achieve these missions is a great one, yet I have faith in the people of IBS to provide me with full support. Let us work together to establish IBS as a world-leading research institution and contribute to making our nation a leading country in basic science.

I look forward to beginning this new journey with you all.

Thank you.

게시판 이전 및 Next 링크
Next
Research

Are you satisfied with the information on this page?

Content Manager
Public Relations Team : Suh, William Insang   042-878-8137
Last Update 2023-11-28 14:20